WEEK 5 - Giverny Yang

Giverny  Yang
Week 5

Image result for chaplaincy
Personally, I hadn't heard much about chaplaincy before this class. The article, "‘You  are  here’:  locating  ‘spirituality’  on  the  map  of the  current  medical  world" by Parameshwaran  Ramakrishnan gave me a sense of what it was and instilled in me the beneficial ideas that come along with it. Although, as I would expect, chaplaincy is not too widely practiced yet. However, the article explains how recently an increasing amount of nurses and physicians have been obtaining spiritual skills through joining clinical pastoral education (CPE). As controversial as this topic of incorporating the spiritual practices into the medical practice world  may be, it is something that is growing day by day. I believe that as people are finding more practices, such as spiritual practices, that they can also begin to believe in to give them more hope, they will continue to spread the idea of incorporating the two. What continues to drive people towards these practices, is the idea of hope. They provide a sense of hope to these patients. I admire chaplaincy because the chaplain educates the patient to help themselves using the "self" instead of just being a healer who is supposed to heal you. The idea revolving around "self" is something I find unique in practice and something I feel could be beneficial to most, if not all, patients. How will more physicians and nurses joining CPE have an effect on their patients? Chaplaincy will continue to grow and I hope it is able to become more widely practiced to patients in the Western world.

Comments

Popular Posts