Week 10: Reflection

Week 10: Reflection
ASA 189B
Franchesca Flores

Photo from fem-happy-alone.dreamwidth.org

The two spirituality classes I've taken at a University always hit and feel different than any other class I've taken. I don't know if it's just because of the term, "spiritual" or because there is such high energy that everyone brings. I like to think it's both. Overall, this course was very informative on all aspects of spirituality from culture, alternative practices, medicine, and healing. Although we didn't necessarily learn how to be spiritual, we learned about the topic and how it is incorporated in the world and science. I thought that the concept of how spirituality was taught was really important because it allows us to take a step back and look at how and where spirituality plays a role and where it stands.
My favorite part of the course was learning about midwives and alternative ways of giving birth. Before this class, I was already sure that I wanted to have an at home water birth so that it could be more intimate for not only myself but the people I love the most. The video we watched in class, "The Business of Being Born," really spoke truths about the medical field and allowed me to pass this information on to mothers and mothers expecting. Overall, I learned a great deal in the class not only from the lectures but the readings! I really enjoyed all the readings we were assigned, I felt that they had a great contribution to the class and topics. The only thing that I would suggest is doing more of the circle meditation we have, it really was relaxing and it obviously put us all at ease. Maybe every other week of the last class of the week? Just a thought, but I really did enjoy this class and having the opportunity to be a part of it! I definitely will share with my school mates about this class.

Comments

Popular Posts