Linda Xiao-Week 4

This week’s reading assignments are related to the topic of spirits everywhere. The belief of animism is arguable because only a minority group of people believe and can feel the soul. On the other hand, most people do not believe in it. I am on the side of belief. I had a personal experience with a pet fish before. When I was a child, I had to go through a heart surgery at a hospital. My dad had to go home to get clothing supplies for me to change after the surgery. At the same moment, while I was lying in the surgery room, my dad arrived. He saw our pet fish jump out of its tank. The tank was at least 1 meter tall. We had had the pet fish for almost five years, and this was the first time it jumped out of its tank like that, which seemed like an impossible task. When my dad saw it jump out, he tried to help the fish back to the tank. However, the fish had already stopped moving. At that exact moment, my dad received a phone call from my mom informing him that I had survived the heart surgery. My dad was so glad. He prayed for the fish and properly buried it. I remember that when my dad arrived at the hospital, he told me the fish saved my life. The fish had sacrificed itself for me. I was filled with appreciation. After I read “We Are Not Alone” and watched Princess Mononoke, I support the idea that animism and shamans exist in our world. As humans, we need to help protect all kinds of life. We need to be more careful in how we treat other living things. The role of the shaman is important as they help us communicate with living things that we cannot see visually. Thus, we need to work together and help each other. That way, we can help maintain the health of life on Earth. 

Citations 
Broomfield, John. “‘We Are Not Alone’ The Shamans of the World Tell Us.” The Scientific & Medial Network, 15 Nov. 2015.


Audio:https://youtu.be/f53ZCld72FI
Question:Do you believe that fish give me a new life? Or do you think that just coincidence?

Comments

Popular Posts