Week 10- Diane Tran

Diane Tran
ASA 189B
Week 10

I was really excited to learn more about spirits since I had heard about this class from Professor Valverde last quarter. When I was little I was very religious with Buddhism, going to the temple every single week and also meditating with the Buddhist monks. In addition, I would go on retreats and learn more about life aspects that Buddhism wishes to fulfill which is a peaceful mind and the doctrine of Buddhism and the fourth truths. In our class, we did dive into different religions, however, I felt like we mainly focused a lot on Hmong culture! I wished we got to learn about other cultures, however, it was great being able to learn about the Hmong culture because where I am originally from there are not a lot of Hmong people so I never learned about their customs and etc. I also loved how we got to go to the rock shop and just checked out the different types of crystals and stones. I wish the lady was more interactive with us. I also was intrigued by hearing Professor Valverde's personal stories such as "Fight the Tower," her journey of becoming a shaman, as well as her mother. It made me realize a lot of things that sometimes things are just unexplainable and indefinite. I want to suggest maybe have a fortune teller come in for class! That was something I really wanted to happen and have them read about us. All in all, it was a very fun class and I learned a lot whether it was about dulas, Hmong shamanism, spirits, meditating, manifesting, or even about myself.

Image result for buddhism


Comments

Popular Posts