Kiya Jackson- Week 1


It has been a long week and a half of social distancing and I have recognized a lot about how we function as human beings. 

First, I've recognized what I have and how I have, regretfully, taken it for granted. For instance, I often took for granted little things like riding the bus to campus, meeting with some friends, or even having a birthday party. Now, I miss being in Davis! I miss riding the bus to class because those were moments I could relax during my busy day or even run into my friends at the bus stop. I miss congregating and playing club sports with my friends. It especially dawned on me how fortunate I am when I celebrated my auntie's birthday via her "zoom virtual party." I recognized how blessed she is to have family and friends to physically and virtually celebrate with. But what about those who don't have family? Those who don't have technology? Those who are homeless? What about those who are sick? The coronavirus outbreak has increased the importance of being open-minded and aware of the various struggles that people are facing around the world. Personally, I have grandparents who live in a developing country. I constantly--now more than ever--worry about their health, resources, and what I can do for them. It has made it more apparent of how privileged I am to be healthy and to have certain resources. It has brought to light the privileges that some have and others do not. 

As my first online classes started this week, I was honestly very anxious because of not being able to see or interact with those in my classes. Most of my professors have shown a lot of compassion and my peers have been pretty respectful. Unfortunately, the second thing I recognized about the coronavirus outbreak is how this worldwide struggle brings out the best and worst out of people. It is important to note that the best and the worst in people are seen everyday, especially before the coronavirus outbreak. I think it is a little shocking how the coronavirus makes it more obvious and clear. How it takes one common struggle to see the oppressive systems that are commonly neglected and ignored. For instance, one of my courses involved a student asking the professor whether the class was going to cover how the "China virus" affects physiology. Instead of being welcomed to an inviting learning environment, this student set the tone of the group with their racist and abrupt question. One disturbing thing was how nonchalant the student was while asking their question. There were many responses calling out the student's racism as well as calling out the professor for disregarding such racist and insensitive comments. The biggest thing I realized was no matter how hard we try, some things will change while others won't. For instance, our learning environment has changed from looking at the people we're interacting with to "hiding" behind a screen. Some things won't change like how racism, ignorance, and oppressive systems still persist even in a presumably safe learning environment. I guess the big take away is that the coronavirus outbreak has been a big wake up call. I hope--in this class and outside of it--to be more giving and compassionate to those around me. I hope to be more open-minded and to learn to accept this new normal.

Question: Can knowledge about the spirit realm solve/heal any of the problems resulting from the Coronavirus?

Audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJGa0eaktE

Comments

Popular Posts