Week 9 - Connecting to Your Spirituality

Alyssa Vang - ASA 189B - Week 9 - Connecting to Your Spirituality
       While I was reading Ritskes article on Connecting: Indigenous Spirituality as Resistance in the Classroom there were a lot of topics covered about spirituality but there were some topics that interested me a lot and made me think twice about my spirituality. From the beginning of class, I felt like I never really had spirituality because my lives been so dull nothing has come to me, sure miracles happen here and there but that wasn't enough to make me sense that it was my spirituality. There are several "connections" when it comes to spirituality; we connect through people and community, entities, and oneself. Coming to this class I thought spirituality was all about connecting with spirits and meditating but reading this article open my mind a little bit more about what spirituality should be. Spirituality is all about connecting with the people around me and sharing language, experience, and a culture we all have in common and this kind of hit me hard because coming from a life where I thought spirituality didn't exist in myself, I finally felt like I've always been in a place where I have connected, I just never knew when. I always questioned myself, do I even have a spirit? Is there really such thing? But having that spiritual interaction is different from everybody and for me its connect with another person and what we have in common and appreciating that moment. I think I had this moment during last weekend when I attended a music festival and we traded kandi bracelets. It's a tradition you do in most music festivals where you trade bracelets with another person you had the most amazing time with and there's a specific way to do it with in the rave culture. P.L.U.R. is what it's called within the culture -- P for Peace, L for Love, U for Unity, and R for Respect and with respect, it takes a lot of courage to ask someone to trade bracelets, especially because mostly everyone are strangers but come together to share this spirituality of music together.

    Here's a video of me trading Kandi (:


       Here are two other examples of my favorite from the past weekend <3 


For more information about trading here's an article for beginners and to understand:


Comments

Popular Posts